Monday, January 4, 2010

20 Things...

Recently via a MSNBC link, I read an article entitled "20 Secrets Your Waiter Will Never Tell You." You can find the full text of the article above.

I have to admit, this article is incredibly frustrating. I have been employed at a large chain family restaurant since 2000 (off/on). I'm probably not supposed to say where, but oh well, it's Cracker Barrel. I'm currently waitressing (serving) once again (and using my degrees as placemats). No honestly, the money is good and it is a lot of fun. Most of the things written in that article concern smaller, casual restaurants that (most likely) are family businesses. Since I work for one that does not franchise, almost everything we do is mandated by our company. So, I have recompiled the list responding to the 20 things written above.

1. Not true. We can tell people we don't like something. When someone asks me how the Broccoli and Cheese Soup is, I am honest. I don't like broccoli, therefore, I've never had the soup. Plus, we do have items that are our most popular dishes. They are in bold on the menu, so if you ask about them, I'm going to say they are popular.

2. We are closed on Christmas Day. I've never actually "lied" about anything but you can use things to "up" your tips. In the South, I can rely heavily on being a Christian and having a husband serve in the military.

3. Sometimes we really are in the stockroom. It's where we keep the sour cream for your baked potato, that you HAVE TO HAVE or else your head is going to explode. We aren't allowed to smoke on property.

4. We don't serve alcohol, but we do hate making hot chocolates. However, we'll still do it. I've never heard anyone say we are out of something when we, in actuality, have it. That's too risky.

5. No, this is really, REALLY, gross. I have never ever (and I've worked at three different Cracker Barrels) seen someone do this. Now, sometimes we are allowed to eat a piece of cake that was prepared by accident, or some pancakes that were made and sat in the window because the server didn't need them. We might share the food we are given or purchase, but never something that is intended for our guests. Plus, all of our desserts are individually portioned, so eating them really isn't possible. It can also cost us our jobs.

6. I've never done this, but hey, it sounds like a great idea. Technically, we aren't allowed to heat up food that has already "touched" the table.

7. No! I have never seen this. We don't even give people wrapped jellies, straws, butters, and etc. that touch the floor. Although it is funny, the movie Waiting really missed the ball in that part. However, when you are rude, meany, or down right obnoxious, we certainly talk about doing it.

8. and 9. All desserts at Cracker Barrel are homemade right in our store, along with a lot of other items you can eat there.

10. Yeah, you that do this suck. We aren't dogs. The same goes for the person who interrupts me while I'm taking an order at another table.

11. Amen. We make our money because we move people in and out of seats. There are plenty of better places to play Risk. And, the heater in your car is just as good as the fireplace.

12. Another Amen. Please don't order it if you don't plan on drinking it. The amount of food/drink people waste in a restaurant is unbelievable.

13. Excellent. You can expect a free slice of apple pie.

14. Maybe. We'll try and diffuse the situation, that is for sure. Unhappy people do not tip well.

15. At any given time we have 4-5 chefs working on duty. We don't take reservations, so don't worry about giving us a call. In my humble opinion, the worst guests are spouses of said chefs.

16. Mine was a woman who brought a ferret in to the restaurant in her purse and fed it pieces of toast. Also, I've been asked out on dates numerous times and been given telephone numbers as well.

17. As previously mentioned, we don't take reservations. I've never thought of giving the hostess money to seat me with good guests. I called the cops once for her when her car was sideswiped in the parking lot and she's been nice ever since.

18. Yes, Yes, a thousand times yes. If you request us, your service will be exceptional. I once had a set of four guests who came in and always tipped me the same amount they paid for their meal. They were "hand off" guests from a server who moved. When I moved from that store I handed them off...I hope they were treated nice.

19. This is true. But please mention any allergies or severe dislikes. Don't say "anything on this menu" is great and then mention when I bring out your food that you have an allergy to pepper.

20. I could write for hours and hours about the science of tipping. Since I don't have that amount of time, I'm going to go with this:

~ We garner 80% of our wages from the tips you leave us. The other 20% comes from training and our small $2-$3 hourly wage.

~ If you despised your service, tipping nothing does not help. We assume you put it on your credit card or you simply forgot. (At Cracker Barrel, you pay at the cash stand at the front, not at the table). Also, please mention it to us, we'll do everything we can to remedy the situation.

~ If you cannot afford to go out to eat, DO NOT eat out with the simple solution of under-tipping your server. In the past year, I have seen more of this than anything else. It's sad. The economy is bad for everyone, but nothing upsets a server more then to work really hard, have great guest rapport, and then get 10% for tip.

~ A good rule of thumb is this, if your service was good/decent, say 15%, the better they are feel free to increase at 1% intervals, and if it's exceptional, tack on an additional 20% or even more. I once had guests who said at the beginning "You are starting out at a 25% tip" It made me very aware of everything that I did for those guests...I ended up getting 30%. If you stay longer then your time, please tip accordingly, remember we make money by moving guests in and out of our tables.

Along with this are those of you who simply leave without paying your bill. Trust me, word gets around and we always remember you.






No comments:

Post a Comment