Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The First Time

I can recall the "first time" I had real alcohol. I was a Freshman in college and had spent the night visiting a friend at another nearby university. Upon leaving to return to my dorm, my friend gave me a bookbag full of alcohol. I remember the bag contained both Peppermint Schnapps and Absolut Kurant. Upon returning to my dorm room, my roommate and I, plus some friends from the 9th floor decided to enjoy it that night. First, let's get one thing straight, college Fresh(wo)men do not enjoy alcohol like my husband enjoys a good cigar. A bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue would be wasted in college. We really don't like the taste and those people who say they do (and they are out there) really don't enjoy it, but when you go to THE George Washington University you learn quickly that everyone is out to do one of two things, either A) impress with knowledge or B) impress with money. I'll let you figure out what was more popular at GW. Yes, 6 alumni currently serve in the U.S. Senate and 10 in the House of Representatives, but we also lay claim to Courtney Cox Arquette, Rachel Zoe, and yes, L. Ron Hubbard, Colonials, you should be so proud.

So, there we sat on the purple carpet purchased when we moved in to Room 219 of Thurston Hall. Actually it was just myself and a friend from the aforementioned 9th floor, the two of us proceeding to share (and finish) a liter bottle of Absolut Kurant. Well, to that point, my drinking consisted of the foam of my father's Miller High Life (probably once when I was 12 or 13) and two sips of a poorly made Screwdriver at a party in high school. You are talking to a girl who once got excited that she got to wash her hands with beer at a crab feast. Needless to say, I passed out (blacked out) on my bed, waking up to a whirring fan and smell of vomit (not mine) at around 6:30 a.m. in the morning. I think I spent the day shopping at the Pentagon City Mall, I remember having to buy sunglasses (hmm, wonder why?).

So, this is unfortunate because now as an adult, when I can drink responsibly, I am virtually unable to stomach the smell (must less the taste) of almost all "hard liquor" beverages. As vodka is the 3rd most popular alcoholic ingredient, I have eliminated popular drinks like Long Island Iced Teas and Black Russians, as well as something called the Black Death. Sounds tasty, no?

Absolut Vodka arrived in the U.S. in 1979, the product of Lars Olsson Smith, an orphan who had introduced his vodka masterpiece over 100 years earlier. According to the company's website every bottle of Absolut is made in the town of Ahus, in Southern Sweden. This "one source" process ensure that the water and winter wheat provides the same taste and texture each and every time. Absolut Kurant premeired in 1992 as a tribute to the company's Swedish origins. Apparently the Scandinavian cold is the perfect breeding ground for the vinbar (insert those funny little dots above the a) otherwise known in English as the black currant berry. Apparently these berries can even grow above the arctic circle. In making Absolut Kurant, the distilling process of the liquid is the same just with the addition of the "all natural" berries. Absolut now has 12 different varieties of vodka including- "plain", Ruby Red (grapefruit), 100 (more intense "plain" flavor), Raspberri, Vanilia, Citron (lemon), Mandrin (orange), Pears, Peppar, Mango, and Apeach. However, with the U.S. consuming approximately 60% of the worlds vodka, it looks like the third largest premium spirit brand is definitely here to stay...just not in my cabinet.

Absolut Nordic

1 part Absolut Kurant
bitter lemon

Fill a highball glass to the brim with ice cubes. Pour ingredients over ice and garnish with lime.


2 comments:

  1. Betsey, you must have learned something at GW. You write very well. I guess that the alcohol didn't kill too many brain cells. I remember you as being one of the most intelligent people I knew in Germany. I had to laugh at your story. When I was a freshman in college (1964, if you can believe that!), I had an experience with gin that caused me to swear it off. I don't think I've had a drink of gin in over 40 years. Enjoyed your blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the vomit was mine. Haha....

    ~ N

    ReplyDelete