Monday, October 12, 2009

Disney Offerings

My family and I returned from a weekend trip to Walt Disney World. For those of you who know us, this is a fairly regular occurrence. We went as a family in March, just my husband and I in July, my husband and (step)son in September, and now all 5 of us (6 if you count Mamaw) for the Race for the Taste 10K. This time we chose to stay at the Boardwalk Inn due to its' proximity to Epcot, as we planned on spending the majority of our time enjoying the samplings at the annual International Food and Wine Festival. As Epcot was probably the most crowded I have EVER experienced, we did not get to enjoy many samplings in World Showcase. I think our time was limited to visiting France and the bathroom in Morocco. However, our trip was not a total bust as I did get to sample a few beverages throughout the weekend.

Friday evening we dined at one of WDW's signature restaurants, Yachtsman's Steakhouse, at the Yacht Club (another Epcot resort). I chose the recommended wine for my New York Strip Steak, a red, known as Cline Cellar's 2005 Cashmere GSM. I actually had no idea what to expect as I was unsure what type of red was even being offered. Upon further inspection I have learned that that a GSM blend is a mixture of Grenache (Spanish Red), Syrah (French Red), and Mourvedre (French Red). The grapes for this wine were harvested between August 29 and October 17. The Grenache and Mourvedre came from Cline vineyards in Oakley, with the Syrah coming from a vineyard in Sonoma Coast. The winemakers' notes state that this wine was initially created for an auction lot for the Hospice du Rhone held in Paso Robles annually. Hospice du Rhone is an tasting event designed to benefit Hospice du Rhone (the organization), a non profit group that works to improve business conditions of grape growers and wine producers around the world. You should taste cherry, raspberry, chocolate, black pepper, and plum. I certainly could taste the black pepper and cherry in this wine, but it had a particular "burn" sensation that I generally equate with my least favorite of wines, the merlot. Cline's 2008 Cashmere can be purchased online for $21.00 per bottle, and aside from a slightly later harvested date, there does not seem to be too much of a difference. I was unable to find the 2005 version for sale. A portion of the sale of each bottle benefits The Breast Cancer Network.

Saturday evening we dined at Chefs de France in Epcot's World Showcase. For this evening's meal, I chose a meal consisting primarily of duck. The recommended wine is a Pinor Noir from Burgundy, France- 2007 Bourgogne Rouge from a winery known as Signe. Unfortunately, I was unable to find information on the named winery. As pinot noirs are my most favorite of red wine selections, I was pleased to see this option on the list. Pinot noir grapes are of the most difficult to cultivate, as they require a specific type of soil to sprout and their thin skins can easily rot and succumb to fungi. Sadly, this means, that many restaurants fail to carry these wines as they can be expensive, or they opt for the "cheapest" version which may result tasting more like...well, something gross. Master sommelier Madeline Triffon says that pinot noir is "like sex in a glass." You can meet Mr. Pinot Noir at the second level of the Eiffel Tower (the top of the tower is too scary, too crowded, and too expensive). He isn't flashy, but you know that it is him when you catch his glance out of the corner of your eye. You have met a thrilling hedonist... rich, inviting, dare I say it...seductive. Enjoy your time spent with him, it may be a long time until you meet up again.

Cline Cellars Website

www.clinecellars.com

No comments:

Post a Comment